Saturday, May 3, 2008

I.B. or Northwest Cedar Tall House



This image is of the I.B. towers shown in the video/slideshow on the right side of the screen (under Hold Productions) as they are currently installed in my Georgetown studio. They range in size from 6' to 12' tall.

2 comments:

Such-Great-Heights said...

These are neat. What was the inspiration for them?

meho said...

Well the inspiration for these first came from hunting stands the dot the landscape throughout northern wisconsin and also other structures found in disrepair whose use at one time is not readily known. This elements were creeping into my paintings to a point that I began to use them as source. The "Structures" page of my website (currently being updated) investigates this. After a bit of time painting these subjects I found that I wasn't quite getting to the heart of the matter so the next step was to stop painting these structures and start making them life-size in the third dimension. The term "Isolation Bunkerism", to which these forms are taken from, is a take on xenophobic behaviors in which individuals or as a group self-segregate themselves out of society out of false fears, misinformation and the like. These structures represent the failure of these isolationist ventures as they are now what only remains of their wedge issue(s) existence.